FRACTIONAL EXHALED NITRIC OXIDE (FENO) MONITORING
Why Measure FENO
FENO test will immediately detect airway inflammation (Asthma) which Spirometry does not detect. Nitric oxide is the marker for eosinophilic airway inflammation.
What uses does FENO have ?
- Diagnose – Marker for airway inflammation
- Know if the patient requires ICS treatment or not.
- Check patient response to treatment.
- Make any necessary adjustment to treatment.
- FENO is an excellent predictor of steroid response.
- Gold standard of managing Asthma.
Benefits of FENO
Many diseases present with symptoms similar to those seen in asthma. Understanding whether airway inflammation is present can help rule out these conditions and support a diagnosis of asthma.
Examples of conditions with symptoms similar to those seen in asthma
- Chronic cough
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Vocal cord dysfunction
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)